人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Thinking about ...

Thingeys I've been thinking about:

a) The distinction between hugs, cuddles and embraces. (after reading Jonny's blog)

Of the three words, I like 'cuddle' the most. To me, hugs are very commonplace and embrace too formal. Cuddle strikes me a rather cute word (like waddle and puddle) and seems more fun and intimate.

b) How far I agree with Ryan's statement that 'Congress is about negotiation, Presidency is about concession and the Supreme Court is about real power'

Wilson seemed to agree with Ryan yesterday.

I still have some reservations on it. Maybe I'm nit-picking, but they seem to imply to me that only Congress negotiates, that the President only concedes, and that there is only one source of real power. And what is real power? Cue: soft power, hard power, military power, etc ... I would think that each of them has real power, at least in one way, i.e. their ability to check and balance each of the other two branches of the American government.

Suddenly the animal chess game came to mind. Which animal has the most power in that game? The mouse, the tiger, the elephant?


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I feel honoured Wei would include flippant remarks I've made as sage philosophy, I don't want to have my thoughts miscommunicated. Unfortunately the truth is far less interesting.

Last year, I taught three simulations to my civics students. In the presidential simulation, we focused on the need for concession. In the congressional simulation, students played politics and learned to lobby and negotiate. And in the judicial simulation, they learned the real power of people whose names and responsibilities they didn't know.

These are simply things I taught my students. I don't know if I'd say they're the "everything" of those branches of US government. The presidency also has to devote time to hiding his corruption and complacency, and all branches now apparently must devote time to publicly praising Jesus in order to be re-elected.

10:38 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares