人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Dream lar.

You know what I miss?

I miss the scouting around the Tesco's and Sainsbury's for cheap reduced foodstuffs.

I miss hunting down the cheapest and smallest bottle of sweet dark soy sauce in Chinatown.

I miss those terrible bomb-dropping pigeons.

I miss that hoody-top guy who feed those terrible flying rats.

I miss the screeches of London buses.

I miss the light rain of England.

I miss the lost tourists looking for the Royal Hotel National.

I miss the book browsing at Borders, Blackwells, Foyles, Waterstones and Prowlers.

Most of all, I miss my friends. I miss the hugs. I miss pestering people for hugs. I miss the kisses, haha, though I squirmed at them in London. I miss having glasses of guinness and black and cups of Cafe Nero coffee with them. While perving at peeps walking down Old Compton Street.

Oh sighz.

I dream that when I wake up, I can brush my teeth and trot around central London.

Some day, the dream will come true. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger city_walker said...

If there is anything perculiar to life so far in Singapore, its how the business of work dominantes life itself and determines the pace at which things occur.

Maybe it takes some adaptation, maybe it takes some times. London wasn't all that perfect and wonderful in the beginning either. I don't think its realistic to expect to find another London in Singapore, but maybe one can find a new space which one can enjoy in this city.

5:43 pm

 
Blogger the third wei said...

chelsea5manutd0: thanks for the references to heidegger and mill on the floss. :) will go to look for them after finishing my latest batch of library books.

nationalism? mmh. I've been told that i'm a nationalistic singaporean, by singaporeans who have emigrated / semi-emigrated to london.

i'm aware tho that i'm perhaps not as attached to singapore as quite a few of my friends are. as i told the psychologist two months ago, relationships matter more to me than any status a particular job would give me. if relationships demand that i leave the country, i doubt that status would keep me here in singapore.

i think i will probably always identify myself as singaporean and not deny my singaporean birth. i'm not sure where and how i derive my identity though. the 'mutable dimensions of time and space' sounds like it does have a huge influence, and experiences in singapore, london and elsewhere would contribute loads to my sense of self-actualisation and purpose. :)

city_walker: as a lazy bugger, i'm somewhat a little discomforted by the idea that the business of work dictates life and the pace of society.

i'm wholly aware that london isn't perfect. i didn't like london on my first trip there in 1999. and was rather ambivalent in 1st and 2nd year, and perhaps even in 3rd year.

a lot of the nostalgia i have for london stems from shared experiences, good and bad, with friends and loved ones. a lot of it comes from the growing up in london. a lot more of it comes from missing someone terribly.

i like singapore, and am often astounded by its beauty, its sophistication and its intellect. a current project of mine involves going around clementi taking photographs. i'm already enjoying this city, but am very doubtful that this enjoyment will obscure the nostalgia i retain for london 2001-2005.

1:50 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares