人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Monday, November 14, 2005

Degrees of separation

In Saving Face, Wil said that for all the Chinese in America, there are only two degrees of separation, i.e. everybody almost kinda knows everybody else.

It is of course an exaggeration, and it would be similarly an exaggeration if I am to say that this is true of Singapore, or even just those of the rainbow hue in particular.

Friendster counts the 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree friends I have around the world. And the numbers are actually quite astounding. With just 73 (acquaintances / friends) in the 1st degree, I've got 5701 in the 2nd degree, and 275, 127 in the 3rd degree. And these are just people who are online on Friendster. So, if the population of the world is 6 billion, my friends, to the 3rd degree on Friendster, make up roughly 4 percent of the total! woah.

I have only recently got to hear about an old friend, who kinda popped up into two different conversations with distinct sets of friends. Small world. Anywayz, from descriptions, he appears to have changed quite a bit, from science geek to sporty rugby boy. Will certainly be nice to meet up with him again and catch up. Not that I haven't changed myself, since I'm sure I have, but I think the description 'harmless little fellow' probably still fits me. Does it? Feedback from friends who know me from school? Or comments from people who know me in the 2nd degree? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares