人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Miao

Just found this quote from Alice in Wonderland on iN wOnDeRLaNd... wE'rE aLL MaD... :

"Would you tell me please which way I ought to go from here?"

"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't care where--" said Alice.

"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.


It's very tempting to go off on too much of an introspective spin interrogating the sense and sensibility of the Cat's words. I guess I will refrain from such indulgence, at least for now.

But I feel that 'ought' suggests that there is a true and correct way, and I am uncomfortable with that.

I don't know where I want to go.

But I guess I care about where I want to go.

So ... does it matter which way I go?

2 Comments:

Blogger Drilbu ... dot HK! said...

That's a quote often used in project planning courses. That basically means: "If you don't have a plan, you ain't gonna get anywhere". So yes, it matters which way you go... so long as you know where you want to get to :-D. I'll give you a couple of quotes:
- Plenty of fishes in the sea
- Happiness is within
- Who doesn't look for something, finds it (the original Italian one for this was actually "who looks for something, finds it", but in fact it means the opposite)
- ... and most importantly, as John Ong says... "Don't forget to smile"
Have a read at my new story on my blog, maybe u can find some answers there :-P
xx O.

5:54 pm

 
Blogger akikonomu said...

You do care where you want to go, which is great. This means you have interest in which way you end up going.

Perhaps you mean to say you haven't made your mind up, or haven't surveyed all the ways yet, or ranked them all according to how you care about yourself? Or do you mean to say you haven't discovered how to get to where you want to go yet?

Anyway, enjoy the liminal, but don't stay too long in it.

11:30 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares