人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Weekend

As weekends go, I've just had a fantastic one.

It has been both a busy and relaxed weekend, spending time alone and spending time with friends: strolling around West Coast Park, morning break and stroll around the Intercontinental & Bugis Junction, an interesting & thought-provoking movie, a night out mingling and window-shopping at the pub, late night supper at Maxwell, etc. And of course, lots of hugs. :p

I've also heard from a pal who's recently moved abroad. Hope he had a good experience at the Web. :) Web-esque & Kudo-esque places have to be taken in with a bit of detached humour.

I'll prolly have a chat with Jonny in a bit, if he's at home.

And read a book on the British National Service.

A nice relaxing evening to end the week. :) I daresay this is my loveliest weekend in a long time.

This weekend's movie's U-Carmen, an adaptation of Carmen. Instead of Sevilla, U-Carmen takes place in a South African township. Instead of Spaniards, the characters are South Africas who speak/sing Xhosa.

I'm aware that particular members of the audience didn't like the film. The (Australian) lady sitting behind me said rather loudly 'Bizet would turn in his grave.' To which lyraine and I burst out laughing. :p Yah. Singaporeans laugh at the farniest things.

I think also that because Carmen was written for the stage, it would be challenging for an cinematic adaptation to match the operatic pageantry of a live performance.

But I quite like the film - for two main reasons.

First, the cast. According to www.incinemas.com.sg, "the singing cast are from Dimpho Di Kopane, whose members were sourced from the shantytowns and had no formal musical training in opera at all". Wow. Their talent is just amazing lor! Can you imagine our kopitiam aunties and ah peks singing a Singlish adaptation of Carmen (with Selena Tan in the title role), haha? Actually, haha, maybe the kopi-aunties shouting orders may be enlisted, hehe. The lady playing U-Carmen was fantastic, though I think her U-Carmen is a tad more malignant than the more common interpretations and depictions of Carmen. I feel that U-Carmen's really charismatic and attractive (Big ladies can be amazing, e.g. Mandisa!). But I wouldn't like U-Carmen as a person. Unlike with Carmen, I cannot trust or sympathise with her.

Second, the script. Having Xhosa lyrics (clicks and all). The incorporation of South Africa music and rhythms. The sheer ingenuity involved in converting Carmen from a European opera to an African cinematic musical.

Some scenes that stick in my mind: the Singapore Airlines plane landing, the cows crossing the overhead bridge, and the can of F&N Fanta Orange on the table. The cows made me laugh out loud. Again, Singaporeans laugh at the strangest things? :p

For a better movie experience, Picturehouse definitely needs to buck up. It's freaking cold for one. And the sound-proofing is koyak: I could hear renovation works (drilling) in the background. ARGH.

Okay. Here's some possible plans for the next few weeks:

a) Speed-dating. STRAIGHT speed dating. AKA GIRLS. Eeek. haha. But might be fun. Make friends lor. lyraine, let me think about it, haha. I don't want girl trouble again. :p

Mega Dating @ Crystal Cafe (Overseas Graduates)

Spend your Thursday evening meeting new friends over sumptuous buffet dinner in a cosy restaurant. Strictly for just up to 38 Diners who are Overseas Graduates. Don't be late! Sign up now...

Event Date & Time: 13 July 2006 7.00pm to 10.


b) Chalet. I'm thinking of organising a chalet, subject to budget constraints. If it's a two day thing, then one day would be a uni-mates outing and the other would be a g.com one. Any recommendations for this? I've only been the SAFRA one at Changi, eons ago. hmm. Chalet also good for practising my cycling.

3 Comments:

Blogger christine said...

changi village. the lky hideaway. effing gorgeous.

11:22 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, I agree...Singaporeans DO laugh at the most inappropiate things - ESPECIALLY in the cinema!!
(Take Brokeback Mountain for example, where the audience started laughing when they kissed, yet it was the most moving, crucial part of the film!)

B.

11:57 am

 
Blogger christine said...

erm.. it could also be due to the overhype of that scene??

11:16 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares