人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Beautiful Thing; Broken Hearts Club; Gosford Park; The Hours

For my 300th entry on this blog, I'll put up some of my favourite lines from a couple of my favourite movies. Thanks to IMDB. :) Some of those lines from the hours nudged me in my current direction. And I am happy for that.

_____

Sandra: It's not natural, is it?
Jamie: What ain't?
Sandra: A girl her age being into Mama Cass.
Leah: She's got a really beautiful voice.
Sandra: And what's wrong with Madonna?
Leah: She's a slut.
Sandra: Hypocrite.

_____


Miss Chauhan: Right, now, this is Mr. Bennett and he's gonna be taking the boys for football. Mr. Bennett foolishly wants to be a teacher.
Ryan McBride: What you fucking looking at?
Miss Chauhan: Er, less fucking and more attention please.
[She looks across to Gina, who is obviously pregnant]
Miss Chauhan: Something you might have said to your boyfriend, that, Gina.

_____

Jamie: You know who Claude Monet is?
Sandra: Jamie, don't make me out to be thick.
Jamie: Who was he then?
Sandra: He painted the Sixteenth Chapel.

_____

Leah: Don't suppose you've got any jobs in your new pub?
Sandra: No. But if I ever do turn it into a brothel I'll get back to you, ok?

_____

Howie: Dumb gorgeous people should not be allowed to use literature when competing in the pickup pool. It's like bald people wearing hats... it's deceiving.

_____

Taylor: I was left for another man. And not just any other man, a trainer. A trainer named Dash. I was left for a punctuation mark.

_____

Marshall: I hang on because I love you, and I wait patiently for you to calm down and wake up and realize that you love me too. You hang on because it's easy.
Howie: When you say it like that I sound like an asshole!

_____

Dennis: You told them!
Kevin: It just kind of slipped out. My mom said she made some key lime pie, and I said 'great, I love key lime pie... and I'm gay'.
Dennis: I bet she wishes she made apple pie instead.

_____

Jack: Sometimes I wonder what you boys would do if you weren't gay. You'd have no identity. It was easy when you couldn't talk about it. Now it's all you talk about. You talk about it so much that you forget about all the other things that you are.

_____

Henry Denton: You British really don't have a sense of humor do you?
Elsie (Head Housemaid): We do if something's funny.

_____

Henry Denton: He's a vegetarian. He doesn't eat meat.
Mrs. Croft: Doesn't eat meat? He comes to a shooting party and doesn't eat meat?
Mrs. Wilson: Now, now Mrs. Croft, we don't want to be thought unsophisticated. Mr. Weissman's an American. They do things differently there.

_____

Morris Weissman: What about Claudette Colbert? She's British, isn't she? Is she, like, affected or is she British?

_____

Lavinia Meredith: It makes you sound desperate.
Anthony Meredith: Well, I AM fucking desperate.

_____

Elsie: Why do we spend our time living through them? Look at poor old Lewis. If her own mother had a heart attack, she'd think it was less important than one of Lady Sylvia's farts.

_____

Dorothy: I believe in love. Not just getting it, but giving it. I think that if you're able to love someone, even if they don't know it, even if they can't love you back, then it's worth it.

_____

Lady Sylvia McCordle: What *are* you wearing?
Isobel McCordle: Don't you like it? You bought it.
Lady Sylvia McCordle: Did I? How extraordinary of me.

_____

Vanessa Bell: Virginia.
Virginia Woolf: Leonard thinks it's the end of civilization: People who are invited at 4 and arrive at 2:30.
Vanessa Bell: Oh God.
Virginia Woolf: Barbarians.

_____

Leonard Woolf: If I didn't know you better I'd call this ingratitude.
Virginia Woolf: I am ungrateful? You call ME ungrateful? My life has been stolen from me. I'm living in a town I have no wish to live in... I'm living a life I have no wish to live... How did this happen?

_____

Virginia Woolf: I'm dying in this town.
Leonard Woolf: If you were thinking clearly, Virginia, you would recall it was London that brought you low.
Virginia Woolf: If I were thinking clearly? If I were thinking clearly?
Leonard Woolf: We brought you to Richmond to give you peace.
Virginia Woolf: If I were thinking clearly, Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know. Only I can understand my condition. You live with the threat, you tell me you live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it too.

_____

Virginia Woolf: This is my right; it is the right of every human being. I choose not the suffocating anesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the Capital, that is my choice. The meanest patient, yes, even the very lowest is allowed some say in the matter of her own prescription. Thereby she defines her humanity. I wish, for your sake, Leonard, I could be happy in this quietness.
[pause]
Virginia Woolf: But if it is a choice between Richmond and death, I choose death.

_____

Clarissa Vaughn: All right Richard, do me one simple favor. Come. Come sit.
Richard Brown: I don't think I can make it to the party, Clarissa.
Clarissa Vaughn: You don't have to go to the party, you don't have to go to the ceremony, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You can do as you like.
Richard Brown: But I still have to face the hours, don't I? I mean, the hours after the party, and the hours after that...
Clarissa Vaughn: You do have good days still. You know you do.
Richard Brown: Not really. I mean, it's kind of you to say so, but it's not really true.

_____

Clarissa Vaughn: That is what we do. That is what people do. They stay alive for each other.

_____

Virginia Woolf: Dear Leonard. To look life in the face, always, to look life in the face and to know it for what it is. At last to know it, to love it for what it is, and then, to put it away. Leonard, always the years between us, always the years. Always the love. Always the hours.

_____

Clarissa Vaughn: I don't know what's happening to me. I seemed to be unraveling.

_____

Clarissa Vaughn: He gives me that look.
Julia: What look?
Clarissa Vaughn: To say your life is trivial. You are so trivial.

_____

[in 1921]
Virginia Woolf: [writing in her book] Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.
[in 1951]
Laura Brown: [reading in bed] Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.
[in 2001]
Clarissa Vaughan: Sally, I think I'll buy the flowers myself.
[waking up]
Sally Lester: What? What flowers?
[realizing]
Sally Lester: Oh, shit! I forgot!

_____

Vanessa Bell: Your aunt is a very lucky woman, Angelica. She has two lives. She has the life she is leading, and also the books she is writing.

_____

Sally: Why do I always have to sit next to the exes? Is this some kind of a hint, sweetheart? Anyway, shouldn't the exes have a table of their own, where they can all ex together in ex-quisite agony?

_____

Virginia Woolf: Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more. It's contrast.

_____

Angelica Bell: What happens when we die?
Virginia Woolf: What happens?
[pause]
Virginia Woolf: We return to the place we came from.
Angelica Bell: I don't remember where I came from.
Virginia Woolf: Nor do I.

_____

Virginia Woolf: I am saying, Vanessa, that even crazy people like to be asked.

_____

Virginia Woolf: It's on this day. This day of all days. Her fate becomes clear to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares