人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Choices choices

I agree with city_walker (and LBD) that the blog is a useful place to store thoughts and capture moments of one's personal history.

If only the blog also existed in a form like Astinus's chronicles of the Dragonlance realms, and one can read everything about the past by going to his library.

One makes many choices in one's lifetime. Memory does not really serve us that well though, in recording why one makes particular choices, or whether there was a real choice in the matter, or the various options that one actually had (and perhaps failed to see).

It's not only the big choices (or pseudo-choices) that one makes that would be interesting to review. Small everyday choices, like what to eat on particular days (e.g. first dates, last meals with people, etc.), why one bought this shoe instead of the other, why one chose to drink so much and snog this person and the other, etc., can be similarly interesting, if not more so, for trivial amusing reasons.

I was just thinking about a few major choices. I'm not regretting them, as I have learnt quite a bit from what have eventuated from them. I am instead reviewing them as an pseudo-intellectual exercise, and am wondering a) whether they were real choices, b) whether they are reversible, c) whether I want to reverse them, and c) whether I chose the path I chose because it's the more difficult one.

For one in particular, I realise I know when I made the choice and flicked the switch, long long time ago. And I wonder, what happens if I want to switch it back?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regretting a past decision is a bit like worrying; nothing is achieved. Making a choice should be the culmination of experience, and anticipating the likely outcome, and every decision should really be a learning experience - ahh if only life were that simple! A person who never makes a mistake, is a person who never learns.

1:42 pm

 
Blogger city_walker said...

Not sure I agree..

1) Its not the same, when you worry, you can do something abt it, when you regret, little can be done.

2) One can actually learn from something one regerts, its actually much harder to learn from something one does not realized is wrong.

4:17 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Switching back your choices is a choice in itself, there are always options, but many of them are often untennable, leaving you with nothing but a Hobson's choice.

8:27 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares