人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Monday, November 19, 2007

Moments of Magic

My aunt and I were freezing one early morning last week, when we went to Yu Shan National Park in Taiwan to view the sunrise. We knew it was going to be cold, and wore four layers of clothes each. Still, we shivered madly.

And suddenly, the sun jumped out from behind the mountain peaks in front of us. The beam of sunlight felt so warm and comforting, like a huge hug that made everything ok. A magical moment.

It struck me there and then that ... hey, I do have a passion ... for special moments like this. Moments that are happy, that may be totally crazy, that thrill.

I love it when such moments happen. I treasure memories of them. I record them in my journal and blog (and postcards if I experience these moments while on my travels).

When alone and lonely, I call up past moments - an unexpected and electric kiss at Finsbury Park station; watching glitterdust and sparkling hearts float out of a V day card, covering me and making me laugh in disbelief and happy resignation; my first crunch into a triple choc Ben's cookie; my first sighting of snow drifting from the sky; my first taste of Christine's steamed Billingsgate crab back in 2003; my first sip of Bailey's; the first time I listened to Singlish being spoken on the MRT, after 3 years abroad; a long tight reunion hug at Borders, Tottenham Court Road; my first un-assisted 100 m on a bicycle; finding a pair of jeans which fits perfectly. And I feel warmer.

I look forward to these moments. I try to do random things, so as to increase the propensity of these moments happening. They excite me, and give me meaning to life.

___

While in Greece, my travelmate asked me how I would know if someone is the One. High on retsina, I said that you'll know it from the eyes. In the eyes, you'll see special moments: from the past, the present moment and future moments. I believe that I can only be sure that someone is the One after spending time together. I strongly believe, then and now, that relationships are about co-relishing, co-experiencing and co-anticipating moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares