人散庙门灯火尽,却寻残梦独多时

Monday, December 19, 2005

Transformations

I like the Diva on a Dime programme that is so frequently screened on Singaporean buses. After a haircut, makeup and the purchase of some cut-price clothing, the subject of the show somehow makes a rather nice and stunning transformation. I like this show for how it entertains me and also for the slight campness of the cute host.

However, I'm not entirely certain whether I would like such a transformation for myself.

A friend who challenges me in ways that makes me quite stressed (but stressed in a good way :)) has quite strongly suggested that I should consider amongst other things contacts, and more and better groomed hair. Now, the longer and better groomed hair thing is hardly a new suggestion, as my classmates from school will probably attest to. I have had this 'hairstyle' since the age of 13 and people keep telling me: GROW MORE HAIR!

Such a transformation, according to this good friend, has to be managed. Not too obvious. One has to appear to look a bit of effort into one's appearance. Even if one really doesn't put in any effort at all. Or if one actually puts in a tremendous amount of effort.

I do agree that it's good to show that one cares about one's appearance. For starters, it tends to suggest a sense of pride in oneself, and a certain level of good self-esteem. It can show that one is happy with oneself, and therefore desirable company for others.

I guess I was little hurt by probably harmless little things I shouldn't have read between the lines.

That I warranted such a strong suggestion for a makeover could mean that this friend felt that I put in NO effort into my appearance. Given my track record for misreading things between the lines, I guess this was never intended by my pal.

If I am more short-tempered, I could possibly be slightly more than irritated by the subsequent questioning of identity and sexuality. But hey, it's not the first time someone has done that in jest, and a deep breath is sufficient to sooth away any slight pain.

I am thankful though that this friend cared to make this suggestion. Thanks very much, and please do keep challenging me. I appreciate it. :)

hmm. The contacts and the hair? I will keep thinking about it.

But I will definitely need some hand-holding to carry them out.

And shoving foreign objects into my eye ... ARGH :p

5 Comments:

Blogger tausarpiah said...

wah lao
even yourthoughts about appearance are so cheeem

if u keep reading between the lines, you'll squint so much and go blind one day .... that's a thought

12:25 pm

 
Blogger Drilbu ... dot HK! said...

No contacts, try different styles of specs. Thick framed or frameless... do some experimentation :-)
I know you do make an effort, but maybe you are pulling in two opposite directions and therefore get little result?
It's quite a common mistake anyway, everyone does that sometimes, and not only in looks.

6:20 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter what any personal opinion is about your appearance - the simple fact is that you are initially judged on this aspect; rightly or wrongly. Would you wear bermuda shorts to a job interview (no glib answers - it's a rhetorical question)? There is nothing wrong with experimenting with your look, unless you intend to remain a borg drone!

12:52 pm

 
Blogger akikonomu said...

It's not the makeover. It's the sense of style one gives to the clothes he wears. People can smell the lack of self-confidence. Similarly, people can smell when there's an attempt to get them to conform to a look that is sanctioned by their peers.

Either way, it's a very normal part of life.

1:46 pm

 
Blogger christine said...

na.. why all male opinions.. sigh.. i don't think it takes much to change urself anyway.. girls do it all the time.. why kick such a big fuss over it..
pls, girls cut their hair to get over guys.. talk abt image change.. maybe it's "symbolic"!
hair > just grow.. use hair wax.. my bro can teach u.. how to look/mimic every single t-pop/j-pop/k-pop hairstyle.. or one that suits u and ur hair..
eyes> frameless is cool btw.. thick framed, erm.. u look nerdy. contacts.. u have to make an effort.. unlike me, who seldom take them off.. which reminds i MUST take them off today.. my eyes are hurting liao.. plus my headache..
my jaw still hurts.. i know how it feels like to be socked in the face/jaw liao.. prolly feel like this.

we could always go clothes shopping! hahah.. really.. :) *giggles*.. i promise, no campiness... really really.

my bd coming soon HOR

1:20 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares